By Patrick Rigby Posted on Jun 21, 2010 at 11:54AM
Just now, Apple released iOS4 for the iPhone and iPod touch and here are the best apps that are optimized for iOS4 (I will update more as more are uploaded to the app store):
- Dropbox: The file-syncing app can now sync and complete uploads in the background, and also adds in support for fast app switching.
- Evernote: The notes-in-the-cloud app supports fast app switching, and can continue to record audio notes in the background.
- Pandora: Yes, you can finally play Pandora in the background and the quick music controls on the left-most panel of the app switcher even control playback when it's in the background. Nifty.
- New York Times: Nothing major, but supports fast app switching.
- ESPN ScoreCenter: Supports fast app switching.
- How to Cook Everything: Supports fast app switching, so you don't have to reload a recipe every time you close the app and new high-res art for the iPhone 4.
- Fandango: Now has fast app switching.
- LinkedIn: Adds fast app switching.
- Tweetaholic: Supports fast app switching, and can also refresh your timeline in the background.
- Ego: This stats app can tell you everything from how many Twitter followers you have to how many people have subscribed to your site's RSS feeds all in the background.
- National Rail: Britain's National Rail app now supports fast app switching.
- Ambiance: This "environment enhancer" supports now the ability to play ambient audio, like thunderstorms, in the background.
- Plants Vs Zombies: Now supports multi-tasking and fast app switching.
- iBooks: It wasn't just third party apps available with iOS4, the iBooks app for the iPhone was just released on the app store as well. It syncs page number, bookmarks, and notes between the iPhone and iPad.
- Windows Messenger: A new app and it comes out with iOS4 integration built-in. It also supports alerts for Hotmail as well, so you’ll get notifications in-app when you receive new e-mails via your Hotmail account.
- Loopt: Supports fast app switching, PNS alerts, and grid based navigation.
- WordPress: Claims Retina Display support and fast app switching.
- TuneIn Radio: Now supports background audio, and support fast app switching.
- Facebook: Updated to watch videos, 720p picture uploads, and the ability to view and write on walls of events. No fast-app switching though.
- Rockz: One of the first games to have iOS 4 support.
- Colloquy: Updated for iOS 4 as it keeps your IRC session open in the background and has 10 minute task completion timer, and when it runs out it disconnects. Also has fast-app switching.
- Tasker: Now has locak push notifications for scheduled tasks and keeps locates your position in the background to alert you of nearby tasks. Also there is retina display support.
- Pianist: Has high-res textures for the Retina Display
- Motionx GPS: Supports background GPS and fast app switching. [
- Black Book, Pink Book:Has now high-res graphics and in-app SMS capabilities. Also there is going to be a free version with iAds soon
- Toobz: Supports fast app switching.
- XE Currency: Supports fast app switching.
- Kobo: Supports multi-tasking and has retina display support.
- TomTom: Has background location support, fast-app switching and multi-tasking
- Flight Control: Has retina display support, multi-tasking and fast-app switching